Montreal Canadiens, a National Hockey League team, whose nickname is ‘Habs’, short for ‘Les Habitants’ Habitants, the early farmers of Quebec.
- 1 What is Habs short for?
- 2 Who is Habs best player?
- 3 Why is Canadiens spelled with an E?
- 4 Why are Habs blue?
- 5 What does HAB stand for hockey?
- 6 Who is the best Montreal Canadien of all time?
- 7 Who wore number 1 for Montreal Canadiens?
- 8 Why are Canadiens not Canadians?
- 9 Why is the Canadiens logo CH?
- 10 How many times have the Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup?
- 11 What is the H in Montreal Canadiens logo?
- 12 Did Montreal Canadiens change their jerseys?
What is Habs short for?
The term “Habs” is an abbreviation of “Les Habitants.” This term dates back to the 17th century, and refers to the settlers of New France, now known as Quebec. While the Canadiens franchise is very old, it is significantly younger than the term that now refers to it.
Who is Habs best player?
A development that should come as no surprise to those following this series, Nick Suzuki is our top player in the Montreal Canadiens organization under 25 years of age.
Why is Canadiens spelled with an E?
Short answer: Because France. The official, French-language name of Montreal’s NHL hockey franchise is “Le Club de Hockey Canadien”. The club is often referred to as “Les Canadiens de Montréal” or by their English name, the Montreal Canadiens.
Why are Habs blue?
The Habs are wearing blue? The reverse retro jerseys are meant to pay tribute to the 1909-1910 National Hockey Association Canadiens jerseys, which were, as you might’ve guessed, blue. In 2009, they wore another version of the blue jerseys to celebrate their centennial anniversary.
What does HAB stand for hockey?
Montreal Canadiens, a National Hockey League team, whose nickname is ‘Habs’, short for ‘ Les Habitants ‘ Habitants, the early farmers of Quebec.
Who is the best Montreal Canadien of all time?
1. Maurice Richard, 1942-1960 (Written by Melissa Boyd)
- Maurice Richard, Montreal Canadiens (THW Archives)
- Maurice “Rocket” Richard was the first to score 50 goals in an NHL season.
- Jean Beliveau (THW Archives)
- Jean Beliveau, winner of the first Conn Smythe Trophy (THW Archives)
Who wore number 1 for Montreal Canadiens?
1 – Jacques Plante His 314 career wins had him at the top of the wins list in franchise history for half of a century and also helped have his number retired and placed him into the Hockey Hall of Fame (HHOF).
Why are Canadiens not Canadians?
At the end of the 17th century, Canadien became an ethnonym distinguishing the inhabitants of Canada from those of France. After World War II, English-speakers living in Canada appropriated the term “Canadian” for themselves.
Why is the Canadiens logo CH?
The club was born in 1909 and were simply known as “Club Canadien”, with a simple “C” on their jersey. Instead, the outer C represents Club, the H signifies Hockey, and the inner C represents Canadien – in full, “Club de Hockey Canadien”.
How many times have the Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup?
Kings of the Stanley Cup Having lifted the trophy a total of 24 times, the Montreal Canadiens are the team with more Stanley Cup titles than any other franchise.
What is the H in Montreal Canadiens logo?
The ‘H’ in the logo does not stand for Habs or Habitants, and it never has. It stands for hockey. The crest was changed to represent the new team name: Le club de Hockey Canadien. It’s a lot like today’s.
Did Montreal Canadiens change their jerseys?
Canadiens to wear new “Reverse Retro” jersey for select games in 2020-21.