The career of many hockey officials begins with enrollment with USA Hockey. To become certified you must pay a membership fee and complete an open book rules exam. Thereafter, candidates must complete a hockey referee seminar which includes classroom and ice time.
- 1 How much do hockey refs make?
- 2 How long does it take to become a hockey referee?
- 3 How much do USA Hockey refs get paid?
- 4 How do you become a referee?
- 5 How much do NHL Zamboni drivers make?
- 6 Do NHL referees travel?
- 7 How old do you have to be to be a referee in hockey?
- 8 How much do junior hockey refs make?
- 9 Why do hockey referees have numbers?
- 10 Who is the richest hockey player?
- 11 What age can you be a referee?
- 12 How do you become a referee at 15?
- 13 Do referees go to school?
How much do hockey refs make?
The average NHL referee salary figure is between $165,000 and $360,000 per year. Referees officiating non-professional hockey typically earn less than $50 per game. NHL linesman earn slightly less than NHL referees, with the average NHL linesman earning between $110,000 and $235,000 per year.
How long does it take to become a hockey referee?
One year experience before moving to Level 4. Must get a minimum open book exam score of 45/50 or closed book exam score of 40/50, and complete all other requirements. May officiate all levels of USA Hockey. Level 4 officials have the utmost experience by passing through all the levels, taking approximately 3-4 years.
How much do USA Hockey refs get paid?
The typical USA Hockey Referee salary is $28 per hour. Referee salaries at USA Hockey can range from $4 – $55 per hour. This estimate is based upon 8 USA Hockey Referee salary report(s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods. 7
How do you become a referee?
How to become a referee
- Obtain a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Choose the sport you want to officiate.
- Obtain specific training.
- Complete state registration.
- Gain experience for career advancement.
- Become certified.
How much do NHL Zamboni drivers make?
According to reported salary estimates on job posting sites, the average Zamboni driver salary is around $13 per hour, or $26,500 (USD) annually. Top earners, such as NHL Zamboni drivers, earn a salary range from $29,000-$31,000, per ZipRecruiter.
Do NHL referees travel?
NHL referees are full-time employees of the National Hockey League. Since they are full time employees, they are salaried and receive benefits. With a regular season of 82 games, several games in any given week, and required travel across the U.S. and Canada, NHL referees certainly have their schedules full.
How old do you have to be to be a referee in hockey?
How old do I have to be to start refereeing? You must be 13 as of December 31 (of the current year).
How much do junior hockey refs make?
Referees who officiate youth and recreational hockey leagues get paid between $30 and $75 per game, which usually runs over a 75-minute ice time. These referees can make their job more worthwhile by officiating multiple games in the same day, however.
Why do hockey referees have numbers?
They communicate with players, coaches, off-ice officials, both verbally and via hand signals. Starting in 1955 with the introduction of the black-and-white jersey, NHL on-ice officials wore numbers on their back for identification.
Who is the richest hockey player?
Wayne Gretzky There’s no wonder that he is the richest hockey player of all time. What is this? Wayne Gretzky’s net worth is estimated to be roughly $200 million, making him the richest hockey player in the world.
What age can you be a referee?
14 years old is the minimum age you must be to qualify as a referee.
How do you become a referee at 15?
1. The best way to become a youth referee is through approved boards which educate officials. You must be certified and every youth sports referee needs to attend and pass a referee’s course. You can find more information about these courses by clicking here.
Do referees go to school?
Education and Training Requirements There are no specific educational requirements to become an NFL referee, though it is expected, that they would have passed high school and would have a bachelor’s degree. NFL referees need to have at least 10 years of officiating experience in football games.